As United Methodists, we believe that giving both financially and through service is an act of thanksgiving and worship, an active expression of our faith.
We give to the church to support the functions of the church – worship, education, services, and programs – and the facilities and people it takes to accomplish these things.
We also give through the church to reach out in love to people in our community and world who need our help.
The local church can do what no other non-profit can, because the local church offers true life.
“As long as you believe that everybody spends somewhere in eternity,” says Rev. Paul Rasmussen, “the church will always deal with problems that the best hospital cannot solve.”
Because of this, supporting the church with our gifts, time, and resources is not only a sign of how much we love God, it is also a sign of our commitment to the body of Christ and to the work of the church within our community and the world.
Giving of ourselves is how we practice being deeply devoted followers of Jesus Christ.
Generosity Timeline Events
1931: In the face of a difficult church debt burden during the Great Depression, the congregation pays Conference obligations to help others first
1932: HPUMC sponsors 200 families during the Great Depression years
The church carried a tremendous social service load in 1932, supporting over 200 families. Various groups within the church set up a small loan fund for needy students; others undertook social service work in West Dallas; and everyone participated in an outpouring of food and clothing throughout the year. Three members of the Women's Missionary Society, Mrs. M. F. Armstrong, Mrs. J. S. Mclntosh, and Mrs. J. J. Russell served as coordinators for channeling supplies where they were most needed. (The Living Vine, page 17)
February-March 1932 Bulletin
1939: HPUMC sponsors Georgia Bates as the first full-time nurse for the Visiting Nurses Association serving West Dallas
One of Highland Park's most significant contributions to alleviate the poverty health conditions in West Dallas began with the unique ministry of Miss Georgia Bates. She served thirty-four years as our missionary nurse and daily presence with the people of West Dallas before retiring in 1973. (The Living Vine, page 24)
Various Award Clippings (1939-1961)
1939: Children collect Pennies for Milk for West Dallas
1939: Rev. Marshall Steel launches outreach to West Dallas
HPUMC sponsors Georgia Bates as the first full-time nurse for the Visiting Nurses Association serving West Dallas.
Rev. Marshall Steel discusses Georgia Bates:
1943: In the midst of WWII, all church debt is retired
1960: Capital Funds Campaign "Building for Youth - Tomorrow's Christian Leaders"
1985: Haiti Eye Clinic Building opens
The clinic was built by the Haitians using donations from HPUMC. It's a landmark in town, very popular and a source of pride for the people.
Rev. Leighton Farrell explains the building of the clinic:
1996: Carpenters for Christ builds first Habitat for Humanity home
On Sunday, September 24, 1995, Rev. Mark Craig called upon the congregation to focus their eyes on South Dallas. The Carpenters for Christ project was formally announced the following April with the completion of the first house that October.
More information on Carpenters for Christ
1997: HPUMC commits to building 100 Habitat for Humanity homes through Carpenters for Christ
“These commitments have made HPUMC Habitat’s largest partner in the world among church congregations,” says Joe Fortson, Outreach Associate with HPUMC.
2002: "Great Traditions - Great Future" Capital Funds Campaign raises $37,000,000
2005: Hurricane Katrina emergency response raises $1,000,000 and continues as Labors for Neighbors
After the Hurricane Katrina, the Biggers building was transformed into a relief center where refugees from Louisiana could come and receive support and supplies. Rev. Mark Craig spearheaded the effort, along with the Harkey and Clinton Families. Their efforts evolved into a program for going into local communities around Dallas and helping residents repair homes.
2014: Haiti Eye Clinic re-opens after 2010 earthquake
Tragedy struck on January 12, 2010. When a 7.0 magnitude earthquake rocked central Haiti, killing, injuring, and displacing hundreds of thousands of people. The powerful quake destroyed countless buildings and homes, including the main building of the Haiti Eye Clinic, a medical treatment facility founded by HPUMC in 1976.
For four years, the damage from the quake kept HPUMC’s medical mission teams away from the area. But on January 12, 2014, the newly re-built Eye Clinic was dedicated and reopened; the following week, an HPUMC mission team served alongside the Haitian clinic staff to see over 600 patients.
The Haiti Project