As a church family, we reach beyond the walls of the church into our Dallas community and around the world, with the goal of providing HELP and HOPE to those in need.
We provide tools such as food, clothing, shelter, education, and medical care, which help people improve their lives.
- We believe that outreach combined with the love and care of Jesus Christ and of all people helps hope be born in the hearts of those who are struggling.
- We also know that by serving others each of us is transformed.
Whether it be a mission trip, a Carpenters for Christ build, serving a meal to the homeless, or any other act of service and outreach, you can change your life while you are helping and serving others.
Outreach Timeline Events
1929: First foreign missionary sponsored by Women's Society for Christian Service
1932: HPUMC sponsors 200 families during the Great Depression years
The church carried a tremendous social service load in 1932, supporting over 200 families. Various groups within the church set up a small loan fund for needy students; others undertook social service work in West Dallas; and everyone participated in an outpouring of food and clothing throughout the year. Three members of the Women's Missionary Society, Mrs. M. F. Armstrong, Mrs. J. S. Mclntosh, and Mrs. J. J. Russell served as coordinators for channeling supplies where they were most needed. (The Living Vine, page 17)
February-March 1932 Bulletin
1939: HPUMC sponsors Georgia Bates as the first full-time nurse for the Visiting Nurses Association serving West Dallas
One of Highland Park's most significant contributions to alleviate the poverty health conditions in West Dallas began with the unique ministry of Miss Georgia Bates. She served thirty-four years as our missionary nurse and daily presence with the people of West Dallas before retiring in 1973. (The Living Vine, page 24)
Various Award Clippings (1939-1961)
1939: Rev. Marshall Steel launches outreach to West Dallas
HPUMC sponsors Georgia Bates as the first full-time nurse for the Visiting Nurses Association serving West Dallas.
Rev. Marshall Steel discusses Georgia Bates:
1944: First Master Plan signicantly increases money for missions and service to others
1954: Clothes Bank started by Methodist Men
1962: Bolivia International Mission Trips begin and continue until 1970
1971: Dickinson Place opens to house low income senior citizens
Dickinson Place provides low-income senior citizens safe, affordable housing along with programming to enhance spiritual, individual, and social well-being.
1971: A UMW Circle begins the first Meals on Wheels route at HPUMC
1976: Haiti Eye Clinic - Mission Trip Begins
Haiti Eye Clinic's mission is to spread the love of Christ by providing desperately needed eye care and health services to the people of Haiti, a poverty-stricken country with almost no eye care resources.
1985: Haiti Eye Clinic Building opens
The clinic was built by the Haitians using donations from HPUMC. It's a landmark in town, very popular and a source of pride for the people.
Rev. Leighton Farrell explains the building of the clinic:
1993: Russia mission trip to Saratov
1996: Carpenters for Christ builds first Habitat for Humanity home
On Sunday, September 24, 1995, Rev. Mark Craig called upon the congregation to focus their eyes on South Dallas. The Carpenters for Christ project was formally announced the following April with the completion of the first house that October.
More information on Carpenters for Christ
1997: HPUMC commits to building 100 Habitat for Humanity homes through Carpenters for Christ
“These commitments have made HPUMC Habitat’s largest partner in the world among church congregations,” says Joe Fortson, Outreach Associate with HPUMC.
2000: "Night OWLS" begins for families with Special Needs children
Night OWLS (Out With Loving Sitters), a respite program for families with Special Needs, was first established in 2000. Night OWLS invites children (to age 13) with special needs and their siblings come to HPUMC on the first or third Friday night for activities and programs designed for them. Each child is paired with a trained volunteer for the evening.
2000: First Nepal Medical Mission trip
2005: Hurricane Katrina emergency response raises $1,000,000 and continues as Labors for Neighbors
After the Hurricane Katrina, the Biggers building was transformed into a relief center where refugees from Louisiana could come and receive support and supplies. Rev. Mark Craig spearheaded the effort, along with the Harkey and Clinton Families. Their efforts evolved into a program for going into local communities around Dallas and helping residents repair homes.
2006: First Costa Rica Mission Trip
2007: First Costa Rica Mission Trip for youth
2011: Costa Rica Orphanage opens
2014: Haiti Eye Clinic re-opens after 2010 earthquake
Tragedy struck on January 12, 2010. When a 7.0 magnitude earthquake rocked central Haiti, killing, injuring, and displacing hundreds of thousands of people. The powerful quake destroyed countless buildings and homes, including the main building of the Haiti Eye Clinic, a medical treatment facility founded by HPUMC in 1976.
For four years, the damage from the quake kept HPUMC’s medical mission teams away from the area. But on January 12, 2014, the newly re-built Eye Clinic was dedicated and reopened; the following week, an HPUMC mission team served alongside the Haitian clinic staff to see over 600 patients.
The Haiti Project
2014: Costa Rica Orphanage opens second resident cottage
2015: Signicant new Centennial Mission & Outreach Programs announced